How To Prepare Your Home For Heavy Rain– 5 Essential Handyman Tips
Rainy season is almost here! Is your home ready for heavy rain and high wind? Neglect can lead to costly and inconvenient issues. We spoke with Bay Area handyman experts about how to prepare your home to prevent water damage. Here are five tips all homeowners should know about water abatement BEFORE the inclement weather arrives.
- Maintain your sump pump. The sump pump is your first line of defense against water infiltration and flooding. This essential piece of equipment pumps water out and keeps your lower levels dry. Make sure it's in top working condition before rain starts to pour! Inspect your sump pump to ensure it's free of damage and debris. Plus, check the wiring and run a test to make sure it's in full working order. Failed sump pump maintenance can lead to denied insurance claims after a flood. This simple preventive measure can save you a lot of trouble and money.
- Inspect and seal weather strips on doors and windows. One often overlooked aspect of rainy season preparation is ensuring that your doors and windows are properly sealed to prevent water from entering your home and any air leakage. Drafts and leaks from your doors and windows can lead to an increased risk of mold growth and inefficient energy usage. You can keep your home cozy and dry during the rainy season while reducing your energy costs by sealing these openings.
- Clean your gutter downspouts and install a gutter guard. Gutters play a crucial role in directing rainwater away from your home's foundation. When they get clogged with leaves and debris, they can't do their job effectively, resulting in potential water damage. Maintaining clean, efficient gutters is vital in protecting your home from the risk of foundation damage, including cracks and shifting, during the rainy season.
- Check your roof. Inspect your roof for damaged or missing shingles ahead of severe storms and wind. It’s critical to replace or repair any damaged shingles to prevent any water from entering your home.
- Prepare an emergency kit. Heavy rain and strong winds can result in a loss of power, water, and heating. One way to prepare for a severe storm is to create an emergency kit that includes essential items to help you stay safe, comfortable, and well-equipped during and after a heavy rain event. We recommend including water, non-perishable food, a flashlight, a first aid kit, rain gear like raincoats and ponchos, and extra clothing to keep you warm. And don’t forget to safely store the emergency kit in a place you’ll remember!
Preparing your home for the rainy season is essential for its protection from water damage and your peace of mind. Get help from our handyman team to ensure these crucial tasks are completed effectively. Don't wait until the rains come pouring down. Take these steps to safeguard your home today.