Mastering Home Maintenance: A Step-by-Step Guide to Changing Your HVAC Air Filter
Discover a simple way to enhance your indoor air quality! Did you know that changing your air filter every 1 to 3 months is crucial? Consider more frequent replacements for a healthier home if you have pets or allergies. Follow this step-by-step guide to replace your air filter.
Quick Tips Determining Air Filter Replacement:
- Monthly checks: Replace when the filter looks dirty or clogged.
- Light test: If no light passes through, it's time for a new filter!
How to Replace Air Filter:
- Locate Your Air Filter: Find your HVAC system's air filter in common spots like the return air grille, air handler, or furnace unit.
- Turn Off Your HVAC System: Ensure safety by turning off your heating or cooling system before replacing the air filter.
- Determine the Filter Size: Note the size printed on your existing filter and buy a replacement of the same size and type.
- Purchase a Replacement Filter: Visit a local home improvement store or order online. Choose a filter with the right dimensions and MERV rating for your HVAC system.
- Replace the Old Filter: Open the access panel, slide out the old filter, clean the area, insert the new filter, and secure the access panel. Turn the HVAC system back on and set a reminder for the next replacement, typically every one to three months.
Consistent air filter replacements are crucial for keeping your HVAC system running smoothly, maintaining excellent indoor air quality, and creating a healthier living environment. Interested in learning more home maintenance tasks? Meet with our handyman team for a free walk-thru visit.